Friday, January 23, 2015

Way too early 25 Man Roster Predictions for 2015

Since fans are always trying to piece together the 25 man roster, it makes sense to do some analysis of my own and make some predictions about the last few spots that will be open for competition.

The Starting Lineup:

LF Nori Aoki
2B Joe Panik
C Buster Posey
1B Brandon Belt
RF Hunter Pence
CF Angel Pagan
3B Casey McGehee
SS Brandon Crawford
SP Madison Bumgarner


  • I'm predicting that Aoki takes over the leadoff spot and Pagan moves into an RBI role as the #6 hitter.
  • I'm also predicting Brandon Belt breaks up Posey and Pence to have a R-L-R middle of the order and so Belt is in a prime spot for extra base hits.
  • Pagan batting 6th slides a switch hitter in between Pence and McGehee as well. 
  • When Blanco plays for Pagan, I have a feeling McGehee would move to the 6 hole.
The Other Starters:

SP Matt Cain
SP Jake Peavy
SP Tim Hudson
SP Tim Lincecum


  • I don't expect Ryan Vogelsong or Yusmeiro Petit to make the rotation out of camp, assuming everyone is healthy out of camp of course.
The Bench

C Andrew Susac
1B Travis Ishikawa
IF Joaquin Arias
IF Matt Duffy
OF Gregor Blanco



  • I do see Susac beating out Hector Sanchez for a roster spot. It would be interesting if Sanchez proves to be healthy if the team would consider keeping both catchers so that Posey isn't the only backup when he plays 1st or gets a day off.  Both Susac and Sanchez have the bats to warrant a pinch hit role as well as a backup catcher slot.
  • I think Matt Duffy will prove to be more valuable to the roster heading into 2015 to warrant keeping him Ishikawa and Arias over Juan Perez. 
  • If Juan Perez is out of options, Matt Duffy becomes the odd man out
The Bullpen

RP Ryan Vogelsong
RP Yusmeiro Petit
RP Travis Blackley
RP Jeremy Affeldt
SM Javy Lopez
SM Sergio Romo
CL Santiago Casilla



  • I think there is only 1 opening now in the bullpen with the re-signing of Ryan Vogelsong
  • Hunter Strickland, Jean Machi, George Kontos, Travis Blackley, Juan Gutierrez, Derrick Law, Chris Heston, Steven Okert and others will all be fighting for the single spot.
  • I'm choosing Blackley to simply relay to the fanbase that we are bringing him to camp and I'm not sure everyone knows that. I do hope he earns that spot though. Another Vogey story!


2 comments:

  1. Never too early for speculation. I may have to start working on a few "camp position battles" posts of my own here pretty soon. Things look pretty good here, but I'll add a few reactions I had.

    1. While I can envision a situation down the road where Bochy tries Pagan lower in the order, I fully expect him to be the leadoff hitter on Opening Day. Whenever Blanco spells him (or he is injured), Aoki definitely slides into the leadoff spot. That's just my take.

    2. Adrianza is the player you are describing as Juan Perez. Ehire is out of options, and I think that could force Duffy to start the year in Sacramento. If they decide to carry 3 MIF (Arias, Adrianza, Duffy) or 3 catchers, I think Ishikawa gets pushed off the roster.

    3. I'll be following Blackley closely, as well as the other lefties in camp, but I think you're forgetting Machi. I would think he's got a pretty secure roster spot unless he flops this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't argue with any of your takes. Adrianza is clearly a guy the Giants feel has too good a glove to get rid of.

      Delete